Condor 2.0? honesty please

Discussion related to the Condor...

Moderators: Uros, OXO, GR

congo

Re: Condor 2.0? honesty please

Postby congo » Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:57 pm

The marketing / release hype won't matter, most of us will upgrade immediately regardless.

The fallout will come as features and expectations differ.

Condor set a pretty high bar a long time ago.
So much has changed since the original release,
I am actually a little bit afraid of my expectations.
Best of luck and success Condor Team !

tom eagles

Postby tom eagles » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:10 pm

Just remember that 2 people did the original condor and its still the best soaring sim there is over a decade later, so it just goes to show that you dont need the size team of Msoft etc to pull off the amazing, I am sure that no matter what v2 brings it will be amazing and we just got to wait n see.

Portmann Markus

Postby Portmann Markus » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:39 pm

you`r right Tom! Remember the Kaesemann`s Alex`s wort`s!!.......... it`s ready....when IT`s READY!!! :mrgreen:

dins

Postby dins » Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:34 pm

In my day if I was updating SW, the first thing I did was write down the list of bugs to be fixed, then a list of new functionality, and from that publish a list of requirements, and flow these down into either new software modules, or edit older ones..

For the new ones I would need to define the I/O, what data comes in what goes out, and that might affect Global variables.

I would then use these requirements to define tests at module level, then at higher levels of integration, and eventually at a system level.

So there you have it, how to plan and implement a major SW update.

SO where are we in this process?

It cannot all just come together and work at once, there must be incremental updates as modules are written and tested , so why not communicate with your loyal customers, tell us what you know works, what you are aiming for and a realistic date for a release. We wont ind if there are incremental updates, but some visibiity is good PR. In my case I want to build a 3 screen implementation but really need to know whether to stay with Condor or go elsewhere.
PLEASE.

David Innes

Slartibartfast

Postby Slartibartfast » Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:26 am

dins wrote:SO where are we in this process?

About ten years in :D

— and I very much doubt you'll get a better answer than that, sorry.

Olympia

Postby Olympia » Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:36 am

This thread has been hi-jacked by the geeks I think. What set out to try to establish the progress on V.2 has become for 90% of us a totally unintelligible discussion of computer topics with little relevance to Condor as it is now, and might be soon. I'm surprised that the moderators have tolerated this wild excursion. We are totally off topic now. Can I suggest that those who wish to go on with this arcane topic take themselves off to another thread (or hopefully another forum altogether} and let the rest of us hear from the developers on the likely timescale for V.2. OXO has given a hint that V.2 might be along soon, I scan this forum to see when that 'soon ' might be, not to be subjected to a lot of computerese.

OGOM
Old wooden ship pilot
Reg No. 464 (LLC 377)
CN: AW

OXO
Condor Team

Postby OXO » Sat Apr 08, 2017 2:13 pm

You are correct Olympia :)

I will split those posts out when I have some time.
OXO,
Condor Team

OXO
Condor Team

Postby OXO » Sat Apr 08, 2017 4:18 pm

Done !
OXO,
Condor Team

HornetSk

Postby HornetSk » Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:43 pm

We are only fulfilling the waiting time...any news? :-)

OXO
Condor Team

Postby OXO » Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:58 pm

HornetSk wrote:We are only fulfilling the waiting time...any news? :-)

I could tell you of progress, but it won't answer your big question of when we release. :oops:

And the reason for that is that we don't know! If we were a full time development company, we could calculate timescales, but we are not, and the time we each have available to put into Condor2 changes week by week.

Condor2 is well advanced and many parts are 100% complete. But still more good stuff to get in :)
OXO,
Condor Team

johanp

Postby johanp » Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:39 pm

OXO wrote:
SHT wrote:I should start looking for a different (not outdated) soaring simulator I guess...

The condor 2.0 myth probably will be a myth for the next years

This is exactly the kind of comment which annoys us.

The 3 of us have given up ALL our spare time for the last few years working on V2. I have no idea what more we could do to satisfy your demands.

I find this hard to digest. For YEARS you string 100s of people along, refusing to say or release anything at all relating to v2.

When people express the inevitable loss of hope that results, you have the gall to be annoyed with them??

When you release software that is valuable to lots of people, OF COURSE they will have expectations!

Most software around the world are beibg released frequently, in small increments. Why not just do the same?

johanp

Postby johanp » Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:51 pm

I guess my big concern is, you're letting people build up each their own expectations of what v2 will be like.

So, v2 has an unknown, essentially random field of expectations to navigate.

I. E. You are guessing about whether it will satisfy people, or not.

OXO
Condor Team

Postby OXO » Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:10 pm

johanp wrote:I guess my big concern is, you're letting people build up each their own expectations of what v2 will be like.

So, v2 has an unknown, essentially random field of expectations to navigate.

I. E. You are guessing about whether it will satisfy people, or not.

Not really. We know what we are doing :D
OXO,
Condor Team

johanp

Postby johanp » Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:41 pm

OXO wrote:Not really. We know what we are doing :D

Maybe maybe not. Your community sure don't know what you're doing. You've made endless statements that you're "working on it", which has unfortunately lost all meaning in the intervening years, because you refuse to say any more. In doing this, in my view you have completely eroded your own credibility.

In case you haven't noticed yet, this lack of information is frustrating the community endlessly. And needlessly!

johanp

Postby johanp » Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:47 pm

OXO wrote:...And the reason for that is that we don't know! If we were a full time development company, we could calculate timescales, but we are not, and the time we each have available to put into Condor2 changes week by week.

Stop kidding yourselves. Full time software development shops can't do this either (predict both release date and scope accurately at the same time). At least, not the ones that are doing new work (like you're doing with Condor 2).

There are ways to manage this - surely if you have any interest in software development you've heard of Kanban, Scrum, etc? In fact, I'm assuming you are using one of these to plan your work.

In which case, even just getting a glimpse of the backlog would help the community immensely - even if you refuse to take their input on what priorities to ascribe to items in the backlog.

Come on man. These people paid for a product, and they're simply chomping at the bit to pay you for the next version. SURELY, some consideration is due to them?

Return to “General”